16.3.08

yarn construction


I've spent this past week's evenings creating this self-striping yarn. It doesn't have a purpose, yet, but who cares? Eventually I'll come up with something to do with it. It's made from many varieties of wool and fiber from a http://luxe.etsy.com spinning kit. This one was named higgledy piggledy bits n' pieces.
Being the second one I made, the balance of the two plies was much closer than the last time. I'm also more satisfied with the coils. I haven't uploaded any pics of the finished yarn, but I'll do that today. There's still a pile of stuff left over from this kit, which I couldn't quite fit into this yarn. I'm going to combine it with the last kit's leftovers and make a third - probably a wrapped single.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

natasha said...

wow! did you spin them on a spindle? when i first got my drop spindle, i had no idea how to properly use it and i would manually spin it, spin, spin, spin, spin, i didn't know about drafting and i wouldn't have been able to because i took the gross wool that a local shepardess sold me and dyed it with koolaid and felted the crap out of it, so the yarn was more like overtwisted rope. anyway, i used it for amigurumi, so it worked just fine. it was pretty, tho. do you mind if i swipe one of your photos to mention on my blog? also, on knitty, they have that knittyspin section, she might want to link your video.

oh, also, you can get a wood box, or make one and drill holes and use either skewers or dowels. you do have a wheel, right?

hairycarrot said...

I do everything on a drop spindle. I don't have a wheel. All the stuff I have I made myself. Then I bought one drop spindle on etsy that was really pretty. I do everything the hard way, I guess.
I also have an antique wheel without a mother-of-all. I just use it to hold things. You can use any pics you like. Thanks for liking them!

hairycarrot. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr