16.4.08

sockheel


sockheel, originally uploaded by hairycarrot.

This is the end of the decreasing short rows. The next step is to start working the back of the heel with increasing short rows.

I like how my first pair of socks is going. I just can't see myself following a pattern for future socks, though. It's just like sewing. I started doing that because I didn't like what was available to me, so I made my own clothes. They always fit better and required the same amount of work as alterations. I am not satisfied with the fit from most patterns or I don't have the yarn choice, so I usually don't finish patterns that I start. I more often than not end up designing my own thing to accommodate the yarn that I do have.
In the case of socks, most interesting patterns are top-down, which I just can't get behind. I prefer to knit toe-up. Once you make that switch, the rest of the pattern is pretty much a do-over. I also don't like the standard heel flap. Every time I see one, I think, "Why do people like that?" It's too triangular. It seems like it would be lots of fun to make, but I would never want to wear the sock. I would be too preoccupied with my triangle feet.

1 comment:

natasha said...

i found you! i had no idea you even had a blog. i finally was accepted the pgh etsy flickr, so there ya are. i am tempted to invite some of the crafty chicas out my way for a crafty cocktail party. or something.

as for socks, once i actually understood how they worked, i agree with you, i have a basic pattern to follow so i don't do anything odd, but otherwise, ya know. there is an awesome sock pattern author that wrote the sensational knitted socks and then a second version and it is great for peeps that like to take a pattern and run with it, it gives you the numbers and then shows you on dpns, circs or magic loop...3 different ways for each pattern and each pattern can be any size, any guage and tells you the numbas and then twists on each one. they are almost all you need to do any kind of sock you want. i go for the plain ones because my ADD makes me unable to keep track of patterns. so.

i got an electric carder (in addition to my handcarder) i trashed my hands on it, it bit me a few times, dang thing.

mwah!

hairycarrot. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr