30.1.09

red purple semi-carded batt


red purple semi-carded batt, originally uploaded by hairycarrot.

I've been doing a lot of spinning since I got my wheel. So far, I've noticed that I can control the fiber a lot better with all the compacted practice I've been getting in. I left this skein as a single, which I didn't used to do. Besides from that being a weird verb construction, I just wasn't satisfied with singles.
When you ply, the second twist returns the fibers to straight. You untwist the original twist from the singles around each other. I was able to balance my twist with the natural tendencies of the wool, so this was a satisfactory single.
The batt was not heavily carded in the first place, making the yarn more likely to have color clumps. This done has lots of red, purple, and black. It's the third lightly carded batt from bflo that I've spun.

No comments:

hairycarrot. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr